Vitamin D side effects are various so you need to be careful when you take any of those supplements in order to stay healthy, and we all know that vitamin D is extremely important for overall health, which is responsible to achieve optimal blood levels.
You can have too much of good things from vitamin D, but you need to be careful not to take too much amount of it at all and make sure to avoid excessive doses of it.
First, you need to know that the 2,000 IU or less per day is considered safe as long as your blood values are being monitored, so you must not have more than these doses.
What are the vitamin D sources?
There are so many vitamin D sources, which some people do not know anything about them, and they are so important for everyone at any age, such as:
- Oily fish: you can have vitamin D from cod liver oil, herring, and swordfish
- Mushrooms: you can have the best amount of vitamin D from some specific kinds, like raw maitake mushrooms, and dried shiitake mushrooms
- Egg yolks: you can get a high amount of vitamin D if you only eat two large egg yolks in your breakfast
- Fortified foods: they are rich in vitamin D, and you can have enough vitamin D from cow’s milk, orange juice, and breakfast cereals
The most popular vitamin D side effects:
Having too much vitamin D will make you face so many problems, and it has so many side effects, which we will tell you some of them in the following points.
- You must not take more than 100 ng/ml (250 nmol/l) of vitamin D per day because it will be potentially harmful to you, and it will make your blood levels extremely high
- You need to know that having too much vitamin D will normally result in excessive absorption of calcium, and that will make you suffer from several dangerous symptoms, such as excessive thirst, and frequent urination
- You can suffer from nausea, vomiting, and lack of appetite because of the high doses of vitamin D besides having high blood calcium levels
- You will find yourself have regular stomach pain, constipation, and diarrhea, which are the most common side effects of getting too much vitamin D and that happening because of the vitamin D intoxication
- You need to stay away from taking excessive vitamin D supplements and you need to replace them with vitamin K2 supplements in order to keep your bones strong
- When you take too much vitamin D, you will suffer from confusion, joint and muscle pain, continuous headaches, irritability and anxiety, and an irregular heartbeat
- High levels of vitamin D may cause bone loss, in that case, you need to eat some specific foods, such as grass-fed dairy, and meat
- You will always feel thirst and have a dry mouth and tongue because of the dehydration that caused by having too much vitamin D
- If you have a problem in your kidney, then you need to avoid taking too many amounts of vitamin D because it will make you suffer from kidney failure